i am...

My photo
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
i'm the Director of Camp Wapiti and i have the best job in the universe. yes, the whole universe.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

you will eat the fuit of your labour...

Psalm 128

Blessed are all who fear the LORD, who walk in his ways.
You will eat the fruit of your labor;
blessings and prosperity will be yours.
Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house;
your sons will be like olive shoots around your table.
Thus is the man blessed who fears the LORD.
May the LORD bless you from Zion all the days of your life;
may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem,
and may you live to see your children’s children.
Peace be upon Israel.

this psalm was emailed out to me this morning, by our mission's National Spiritual Formation Director (that's a title I'd like one day - it carries that idea that all you do is drink coffee with people and encourage them to grow in Christ). the point is that one of the lines hit me today. truth is that i've been kind of lazy lately, and not much has been getting accomplished.

oh i've been quite busy. i've been having lots of meetings lately, drinking lots of coffee, talking up what Young Life is doing here in Grande Prairie, and meeting kids at the school and learning their names. i just haven't been very productive in my efforts. i've been feeling frustrated and discouraged - and maybe some of that is on grounds that are good and justifiable and i'd probably be told i was right in some of them. but what if some of it is on me and me alone. what if i will not only 'someday' eat the fruit of my labour but every day eat the fruits of my efforts. my lovely wife poked me with a bit of a cattle prod last night (she's so good at that...) and i found myself having to bite my tongue because i was angry with what she was saying. i was angry because she was right.

i'm not saying that things are collapsing on the mission front, and i'm not saying that i haven't been doing my job either. i am saying that i've been shown guilty of coasting, and not doing the 'little' things that will actually make a difference in this whole thing. i have a renewed sense of energy today. thank you Lord! there's lots to be done, but today there's a little more meaning to it all. God is still good - no, check that - God is still Great, and i am still learning how to be me in His gracious hands.

No comments: